It. Was. Wonderful!
I recently had a story time and book signing at one of the Barnes & Noble stores in my area. I was both nervous and excited and wasn't sure what to expect or if people would even show up, despite my various promotional efforts.
Happy to report that people did show up and the crowd was fabulous! There was energy in the room, I didn't stumble, I didn't fall (thank God!) and all went well. I signed a lot of books--at one point, when I looked up, there was a little line up.
A big thank you to the store's event manager, Suzanne, and the staff who made this possible. Thank you to my family and friends for the support, and thank you, God, for your grace!
7 Things to Do for Your Book Signing
1. Invite everyone you know plus random people you barely know. Or strangers.
2. Run a Facebook ad. It doesn't have to be expensive. I had mine up for 25 days prior to the event and targeted a 20-mile radius area around the store for $36.
3. Create a Facebook event on your Author Page--assuming you have one (you should!)--and boost it.
4. Have swag ready for your event--bookmarks, buttons, stickers etc. Bring small treats for the kids, but make sure you get the store's approval. I also brought a paper plate bear craft and coloring pages that the kids enjoyed doing after story time.
5. Show up early to help set up. Be nice and thank the staff for their work on your event.
6. Assign a friend to take pictures.
7. Be present in the moment. Talk to your guests and enjoy!
How about you? Have you hosted your bookstore author event yet or planning one? Please add any other suggestions or questions in the comments. Thank you!
About Rosie J. Pova
Rosie J. Pova is a multi-published, award-winning children's author and kid lit Writing Coach. She's the creator of Picture Book Mastery System™ that is proven to help emerging children's writers advance their career and get closer to their publishing goals.
Rosie's latest picture book, Sunday Rain, was featured in The New York Times and recommended by Parents magazine. Her upcoming picture book, The School of Failure: A Story About Success will be released in the spring of 2022 in both China and the USA.
Rosie also loves to visit schools and her interactive workshops empower students to unleash their creativity and grow in confidence through reading, writing, and creating. Teachers and librarians love Rosie for her bubbly, upbeat personality which captures students' attention, encourages them to think creatively, and motivates them to pursue big dreams.
She has been featured on TV, radio, podcasts, and print media, and also speaks on women's and moms’ topics, sharing her journey from a Bulgarian immigrant to a published author.
Find out more about Rosie's online courses, mentorships, and her work by visiting her website: RosieJPova.com
Check out her Critique Services here, her Workshops here, and her school visits page here.
Rosie is represented by Jennifer Herrington of Harvey Klinger Literary.